dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #511

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 8 16:28:13 EST 2002

Sally Odgers asked:

>>what a lovely little fellow Roi is. Does his name translate as "King"?

No, nor is it pronounced as it would be in French. It is pronounced as two
seperate syllables, no dipthong, something like "row-EE", with a hard "r".
There were a lot of deliberations about the best English spelling, my mother
still usually writes Ro'ee or Ro'ii, I prefer the minimalist version.
Meaningwise it's the "my shepherd" bit from the psalm "the lord is my
shepherd".

Gili