Tatoos (was Re: If you're really bored...)

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Fri Nov 8 13:45:47 EST 2002

Kyla said...

> On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Dorian E. Gray wrote:
>
> > Can this be true?  I am the only listmember with a tattoo?
> >
> > Or did I miss someone?
>
> Me! You missed me! ...but until you sent *your* answers to the survey, I
> was sitting there thinking, "What? I *can't* be the only list member with
> a tattoo."

Ooh!  Two of us!  Out of...how many?  Dear me.

> Actually, I think it might be related to the age distribution on the
> list--more and more of the young women I know (in their twenties, say)
> have tattoos. Maybe it's getting more acceptable or something.

Well, that's a point.  I don't know many women my age (33) who have tattoos.
Actually, I don't know many women my age, full stop. :-)  But a good few of
my younger friends (male and female) have tattoos.

> Massachusetts only legalized tattoo parlors in the last year or two. But,
> really, there's lots of non-sketchy tattoo artists now, who use new
> needles and blah blah blah...my parents weren't so keen on the idea of me
> getting a tattoo, partly for the health reasons, but since I was 22 at the
> time, they didn't have any say in it.

I got my first one when I was...um...23, I think.  There were at least two
or three good, safe studios in Dublin then - there are more now, maybe five
or six.  They've never been illegal that I know of, but I've heard there are
now moves afoot to form a professional organisation of some kind, and to
actually license artists, which would be good.  It's easy enough to tell a
good place from a dodgy one - if you know what you're looking for.  A
licensing system would cut down on the number of dodgy places (if there are
any; I haven't actually come across one in Dublin), and make tattooing safer
for people who know nothing.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--