Advert for something relevant that makes me happy

Fri Nov 8 01:27:17 EST 2002

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002 07:51:13 +0200 (EET), Satu S Hlinovsky wrote:

>I have half my books now catalogued in Access, which is just as flexible
>as I could ever want it to be. I and my husband spent some time figuring
>out all the things we wanted out catalogue to contain about our books, and
>created a filing card base exactly for our needs. Now all we need to do is
>find the time to put the other half of the books in. It may still take
>awhile, because new books keep puoring in...

That is the trouble, isn't it?  Which is why I'm doing it now, at a point
where I can't afford to buy books the way I used to.  (_Night Watch_,
_Abhorsen_, and _The Merlin Conspiracy_ in the next six months or so, and
that's it.)

Which brings me to another question I'd like opinions on.  This new program
uses a category+subcategory system to organize books by subject: i.e.
Children's+Fantasy.  Not really having a system, I noticed in playing with
the grouping definitions (ways of displaying the records) that I have some
books that are, for example, Childrens+Fantasy and others that are
Fantasy+Childrens.  The categories are not nearly as important to me as my
homegrown keyword system, but I want them to be sensible.

So what I want to know is, for those of you who think this way, how do you
classify or sort your books by subject?  (Or do you not bother?)  Do you,
for instance, put DWJ with the children's books or with the YA books or with
straight fantasy?  Suggestions for my own situation are good, but what I'd
really like is to see how people think about this, um, subject.  :)

Melissa Proffitt