If you're really bored...

Thu Nov 7 16:44:52 EST 2002

Now that no one cares any more... :)

(It was actually something of a relief to discover that most of the messages
that stacked up while I was AWOL were on a single topic.)

1. IF YOU COULD BUILD A HOUSE ANYWHERE, WHERE WOULD IT BE?
This was clearly written by one of those people who thinks choosing a floor
plan and hiring a contractor is the same as building (i.e. everyone who
lives in my neighborhood, where two new housing developments have sprung up
recently).  I'm going to assume that it doesn't mean I'd have to get in
there and lay sheet rock again; my family really did build a house when I
was seventeen, and I put in a lot of wire-pulling and framing and assembling
of ceiling fans.
Actually, I'd prefer to find the perfect house rather than build it; I like
the idea of a house with some history to it.  I want to live somewhere with
a cool climate, lots of rain, where the problem is keeping plants from
growing rather than begging them to do so.  Somewhere in the Pacific
Northwest or anywhere with a similar climate--I'm not that picky.  Close to
a city, but not too close, with a yard that grows wild and a lot of odd
corners and nooks.  Plenty of bookshelves.

2. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE ARTICLE OF CLOTHING?
I have four small children.  My favorite article of clothing is anything
that is whole and unstained.

3. FAVOURITE PHYSICAL FEATURES
I'm too depressed to have a favorite physical feature right now.  Probably
cheekbones, the only part of my body that hasn't drifted south in the last
five years.

4. WHAT'S THE LAST CD THAT YOU BOUGHT?
Um...a year ago I bought the Muenchener Freiheit Definitive Collection?
Though I was disappointed with some of the tracks, since they left out a few
I really like and chose unpleasant recordings of two others.  I don't buy a
lot of music.

5. WHERE ARE YOUR FAVOURITE PLACES TO BE?
If I could figure this out, I'd have more places to go when I need to get
out of the house.  The library or big chain bookstores--best places to sit,
read, and be ignored by staff.

6. WHERE'S YOUR LEAST FAVOURITE PLACE TO BE?
The kitchen or anywhere my kids have made a Really Big Mess.

7. WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE PLACE TO BE MASSAGED?
In bed?  :)  I prefer back tickles to massages.  Even when I feel that I
need a massage, Jacob says "wow, you're not even a little tense" so I figure
it's probably a waste of time.

8.  STRONG IN MIND OR STRONG BODY?
Prefer not to answer on the grounds that it makes me sound like the world's
whiniest sissy.

9. WHAT TIME DO YOU WAKE IN THE MORNING?
I wake after I've had eight hours of sleep, or around 7:30 if the kids are
involved.

10. WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE KITCHEN APPLIANCE?
The one that means I don't have to cook ever again: the microwave.

11.  WHAT MAKES YOU REALLY ANGRY?
Intellectual people who complain about the bigotry and intolerance of others
without realizing how intolerant they themselves are being.  (Sorry.  I'm
pissed off at the other list I'm subscribed to right now.)

12. IF YOU COULD PLAY ANY INSTRUMENT, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
Drums.  The rock 'n' roll kind.  Or the cubes from Patricia McKillip's
_Fool's Run_, same diff.

13. FAVOURITE COLOUR?
Dark green

14. WHICH DO YOU PREFER, SPORTS CAR OR SUV?
Neither, really, but I'm kind of partial to the new PT Cruiser.

15. DO YOU BELIEVE IN AFTER LIFE?
Yes.

16. FAVOURITE CHILDREN'S BOOK(S)?
Since I have small children, I tend not to think of DWJ et al. as children's
books.  My favorite picture books right now are Rudyard Kipling's _How the
Camel Got His Hump_ (ill. Quentin Blake), _Are You My Mother?_ by P.D.
Eastman, and _The Tawny Scrawny Lion_ (can't recall author right now).

17. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE SEASON?
Fall.

18. WHAT'S YOUR LEAST FAVOURITE HOUSEHOLD CHORE?
Cleaning up one mess and discovering another has been created in my absence.

19. IF YOU COULD HAVE ONE SUPER POWER, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
Pyrokinesis.  If it also meant I could handle the fire myself without being
burned, which would probably require Wolverine-style healing as well.  But
telekinesis is probably the one I most frequently find a need for.

20. DO YOU HAVE A TATTOO?
No.

21. CAN YOU JUGGLE?
Only in the metaphorical sense.

22. THE ONE PERSON FROM YOUR PAST YOU WISH YOU COULD GO BACK & TALK TO?
I have an ancestor who had a very interesting life.  There's a monument to
him in Canada, in a little town somewhere.  I'd like to talk to him.

23. WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE DAY?
Specific day: my birthday, if I get to celebrate it right.  General day: any
time I can spend the day relaxing with friends and doing nothing in
particular.

24. WHAT'S IN YOUR CAR TRUNK? BOOT!
I drive a van.  The whole CAR is one giant trunk.  (Yes.  A full-sized van.
We went shopping on a day when no minivans were available, and were seduced
by the luxurious styling of a custom 7-passenger van.)

25. WHICH DO YOU PREFER, SUSHI OR HAMBURGER?
Sushi, but I don't get a lot of it.  I'm not a vegetarian by a long shot,
but hamburger is probably my least favorite form of animal protein ever.

26.  OF THE PEOPLE YOU E-MAILED THIS TO, WHO'S MOST  LIKELY TO RESPOND?
27. WHO'S LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND?
I only mailed it to the list, so....

I'm tired and cranky and I haven't read a book in three weeks, but I am
still here, oh yes.

Melissa Proffitt