superpowers

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Tue Nov 5 02:27:14 EST 2002

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 11:40:18PM -0000, Ania wrote:
> bowdlerization in effect!) go screw himself! (evil grin). But I'd just
> eliminate war and its weapons, violence, corporate greed, bigotry etc. Then
> again, power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely, so maybe it
> would not be safe. Ah well.

I am reminded of an SF short story I read a long time ago, but it still
sticks in my brain even though I can't remember who wrote it or what it
was called.  In it, our hero discovers a conspiracy of people trying to
control the world -- or maybe it's a mad scientist, I can't remember.
Someone has built a device, a kind of helmet; and the wearer of the
helmet can percieve and control anyone in the world.  So our hero fights
the conspirators, and manages to win through to the control room, puts
on the helmet and uses it to put the bad guys to rights.  And then, and
then... "I'll take it off in a little while," he says to himself.  "Just
a little longer.  Just a little longer."

It was a chilling little scene, a demonstration of the irresistable
temptation of absolute power.

Though actually the movie The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of The Ring
managed to push the theme of temptation and power almost more than the
book did, IMHO.  That scene with Galadriel... ah, my imagination is
better, but only a little better than the movie... (*shiver*)

Kathryn Andersen