superpowers

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Fri Nov 1 14:21:22 EST 2002

Kathleen said...

> The types of superpowers people would like have been very interesting.
> A few(?) people have mentioned healing.

I looked at those ones and thought "why didn't I think of that?"  And then I
remembered "oh yeah, I have it already!"  Well, not spectacularly, but I can
draw pain out of e.g. headaches, bruises, etc.  Which is, after all, better
than nothing.

> Healing doesn't have this tension. It implies only good action or bad
> inaction. Not an equal and opposite action. But if you can heal, you can
> harm. If you can put it together, you can take it apart. So healing is
only
> the use the power is put to (like 'rescuing people on ledges') - it is
only
> a part of the whole. I'm getting to my question now:
> What would this superpower be called? "Power of life and death" sounds
> overly melodramatic and "power over the functioning of organisms" sounds
> bad. I've been trying to work this out for an idea for some time now. Does
> anyone have any suggestions?

In most of the places I've come across it (gaming, reading), the power seems
almost always to be called "healing", whether you use it to heal or harm.
Of course, if a character uses it to harm, they are either Very Evil and
Perverted, or in for a bout of agonising guilt about what they just did,
even if it seemed necessary. :-)

I really can't think of any neutral term...but if I come up with one, I'll
let you know.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--