OT Food Rules -- was Teaching Dark Lord

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Thu May 30 12:54:20 EDT 2002

On Wed, 29 May 2002, Ven wrote:

|That explains it. This reminded of something I've
|often wondered: as new animals were discovered,
|particularly in the New World and Australia how
|was it decided whether they were prohibited or
|not? and by whom?

The Magids -- er, the rabbis -- of course.  They still do.  One
of these days someone is going to genetically engineer a pig
(which is specifically listed as unclean) with cloven hooves and
chews its cud (which should make it clean).  Whooee will there be
a fight then.

The rabbis of the different branches all hash it out in the time
honored fashion Jews have been deciding things since the
diaspora.  Kibbitzing.

-deborah
deborah at suberic.net
--
Always remember to demand more of yourself than anyone else.  Otherwise you
become merely a tiresome rebellious young girl who wants that the whole