Jamie Hamilton

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Wed May 29 22:29:43 EDT 2002

Melissa wrote that Jodel wrote
><< What kind of man will he grow up to be, if
he's allowed to grow
>up? >>
>
>I think that that comment at the end of "I'm
young, I can keep them away
>longer", or however it was phrased, was an
indication that Jamie probably
>WILL physically grow up. But it is going to take

a small part of forever
>before he does it. One indication is that the
hundred years that he has
>walked the bounds already hasn't physically aged

him even one.>

Me
I'm sure I remember something about him having
aged about a year for his first hundred on the
bounds.

<And I think, emotionally, he's already aged
quite
a bit.  He's certainly got
a very mature outlook on things.

>And, as for his sacrifice of walking the bounds
to keep THEM away; It IS a
>sacrifice, true, but not as dire a one as his
first hunderd years on the
>bounds would have implied. In the first place,
he is no longer being yanked
>from one place to another on THEIR whims, so he
is now in control of where he
>goes and when. And I rather suspect that he was
able to improve the shining
>hour that he spent on Konstam's world aquireing
demon sensors and/or whatever
>other navigational aids that Konstam's world
uses which will improve the
>control he has over his life tremendously.

This is why I think it would be interesting to
read more about his future.
(Actually this sounds like a premise for a
television show.  Quantum Leap
without the swiss-cheese-brain effect.)  Jamie is

smart enough to figure a
lot of things out; I agree that he's going to
continue to improve his
ability to control his movement.  But this also
implies that THEY will
figure out new ways to play their little game
(unless we assume that they
are just unable to innovate, which I suppose is
possible) and Jamie might
find himself needing to change what he does to
counter them.>

This really is a good TV idea Melissa! the
efforts of Them to get back control of the
worlds, and the various Demons making trouble
would supply a good many plots and cause Jamie
and "the crew" to be continually reunited.
Constam and the gorgeous redheaded sister would
provide the adult love interest and Jamie and
Helen the impossible romance (with some sort of
happy resolution dangled just out of sight) and
Adam and Joris could be sidekicks/comic relief.

Melissa

<It would work well if Jamie wasn't the
protagonist...sort of the way only
_Lives of Christopher Chant_ has "our"
Chrestomanci as the protagonist.  I'd
really like stories where Jamie sort of popped in

and wasn't identified as
himself.>

He would seem to other people much as Urras (the
Prometheus guy) seemed to him, noble and
melancholy and burdened.

<But, again, if those were set anywhere
near to our own time, he'd
still be a kid.>

Does time run consistently in the various worlds,
certainly They had been messing around with the
tech levels, accelerating some and delaying others.

=====
Ven