OT Food Rules -- was Teaching Dark Lord

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Wed May 29 22:04:48 EDT 2002

Deborah wrote

On Tue, 21 May 2002, Ven wrote:
|This raises an interesting point -- that for
|shellfish to be banned they had to be available
|in the first place! I can only assume they must
|have been preserved in some way -- salted?
|pickled? in alcohol? -- and arrve in jars or
|barrels. Ob Dwj, the bargain barrel of oysters
|that Milda bought and which ended up crawling
|with ants.

Specifically, the Torah only requires that all
kosher fish have
scales and fins.  Shellfish are prohibited by
lack, not by
inclusion.

That explains it. This reminded of something I've
often wondered: as new animals were discovered,
particularly in the New World and Australia how
was it decided whether they were prohibited or
not? and by whom?

=====
Ven