Plot twists, creeping back on topic (was: Buffy so far OT you need a radio telescope)

Caleb W scalebw at tiscali.co.uk
Tue May 28 15:51:04 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "deborah" <deborah at suberic.net>
To: <dwj at suberic.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 3:21 PM
Subject: Re: Buffy so far OT you need a radio telescope

> On Wed, 22 May 2002, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
> |We saw the Buffy season 6 finale last night.
> |
> |I can't talk.  I'm too blown away.  And there's too much possibility for
> |spoilers.  But in the spoiler-free zone, it manages to:
> |
> |*drop a huge bombshell so you'll be so happy when season 7 comes along
>
> I called it! My sister told me no way, but I called it.  Yay.
>
> ObDwj:  No way would I have called it in a DWJ book.  Joss is
> great, but he's no DWJ.  She is *much* less predictable.

(shoehorning in his current hobbyhorse) I'll be very interested to see how
the Doctor Who story arc will resolve. Basically, the whole Web of Time is
unravelling because the Doctor rescued Charley from dying in the R101
airship crash in 1930, changing established history. It was revealed
mid-season that all his adventures are being shown to someone credited as
"The Auditor" who has the Doctor on trial for his actions.
Now, the possible outcomes are:
- Charley gets put back and is killed. Which would be shocking but is rather
obvious.
- They find some clever way of putting things back (eg make a clone of
Charley and put that back)
- Some twist happens that requires a completely different resolution.
I like books where you can't tell what is going to happen next - DWJ is very
good on this stake. I found with both The Crown of Dalemark and Eight Days
of Luke that I enjoyed them immensely because I didn't see various twists
coming and they threw me. Spoilers follow...
I knew that Eight Days of Luke was based on some myth or other, and I was
bouncing up and down with frustration trying to get it, but much to my
chagrin I didn't get it until it was made patently obvious. I was grinning
like a maniac by the end of that book.
Also, when the second part of The Crown of Dalemark shifted to a modern
setting it really threw me, since only having read Cart and Cwidder before
hand it had all been in Moril's time. This really threw me, but the mutiple
time periods gives a good sense of history to the Dalemark books.

Caleb W.