(No Subject)

Tue May 28 13:49:01 EDT 2002

On Tue, 28 May 2002 16:07:04 +0100, Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk wrote:

>>>This is a question that often gets asked, but I'm surprised (and rather
>>>embarrassed) that all my list friends have been ignoring you. :-(
>>
>> I think a number of people couldn't read her message, due to the various
>> attachments it came with.  To many people, it came across as garbled.  So I
>> wouldn't assume we're all just ignoring the new girl, Philip.  :)
>
>Oh, Melissa, I hope I haven't offended you ;-)

Yes!  You offended me!!  I will now proceed to fire Molotov cocktails in
your general direction!!!  Now I have excuses to write poorly-spelled
diatribes about you and your taste in reading material!!!!

(I like you.  You're so direct. :)

>I'm not in the least surprised that a few people couldn't read Heather's
>message, or that those people ignored it.  What I said was that I was surprised
>that _everyone_ ignored it.

To be honest, I didn't ignore it, I forgot about it.  I have my email reader
configured to hide already-read messages, I clicked on it to try to figure
out the attachments, and then it disappeared.  I should have responded when
I went to the archives to see what was up, but I was in a stupid flaming
hurry that day.

So...I did ignore it, but not on purpose.

>> (And, as it happens, I am one of those people who reads email in plain text.
>> My email reader--while exceptional in many respects--doesn't handle HTML and
>> displays HTML-only messages as a little box that I have to manually open to
>> read.  Fortunately, I don't get many of these.)
>
>Me too.  I get a blank message with an attachment called att.html.  And I've no
>intention of changing [*] - unless they're from someone I know, I don't even
>open such messages for fear of viruses.

Amen!  Most of the ones I get are spam, so even less incentive to open them.
I use Agent, which is fantastic despite having been dropped from development
for way too long.  Jacob wants me to use Outlook, but he's been corrupted by
Satan and thinks I should convert all my programs to their Microsoft
equivalent.  (I can say this because he's got a nine-hundred-message backlog
and I know he isn't reading these.  I keep telling him he ought to just
delete all of that and start fresh.)

>PS Heather - Don't take this personally.  This sort of banter just happens on
>the list, from time to time.  It's not directed at anyone in particular.  And
>it's _a lot_ friendlier than on most lists I've seen.

We are a very friendly lot.  Except for Philip.  :)  And me.  But I always
feel really bad about it afterward.

And now, to be more serious....

One of the things I have always liked about this list is that we have no FAQ
that we insist newcomers read.  We don't (usually) shut people out when they
ask the same question that we've already gone over fifteen times, because
people always come up with new insights.  But there are some things that
could perhaps be helpful to new members.  Heather posting the question about
"favorite DWJ book" is a good example; I think it's probably one of the
first things someone wants to know when they discover a group of like-minded
fans.

So what I'm wondering is, could there be some middle ground between mocking
and flaming newbies and just letting them flounder on their own?  For
example, a "welcome" message upon subscribing that suggests looking at the
survey results on the website, or glancing over the recommended threads, or
something?  I hesitate to suggest it because I know I wouldn't have to
implement it; it would be Deborah doing the work.  :)  I just wonder if
anyone thinks this might be valuable to new list members.

Melissa Proffitt