Jamie Hamilton

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Tue May 28 13:22:35 EDT 2002

<< but I have increasingly started wondering--what happens to Jamie now?  I
mean, he's saved the world, but is he going to be miserable for the rest of
his life?  What kind of man will he grow up to be, if he's allowed to grow
up? >>

I think that that comment at the end of "I'm young, I can keep them away
longer", or however it was phrased, was an indication that Jamie probably
WILL physically grow up. But it is going to take a small part of forever
before he does it. One indication is that the hundred years that he has
walked the bounds already hasn't physically aged him even one.

And, as for his sacrifice of walking the bounds to keep THEM away; It IS a
sacrifice, true, but not as dire a one as his first hunderd years on the
bounds would have implied. In the first place, he is no longer being yanked
from one place to another on THEIR whims, so he is now in control of where he
goes and when. And I rather suspect that he was able to improve the shining
hour that he spent on Konstam's world aquireing demon sensors and/or whatever
other navigational aids that Konstam's world uses which will improve the
control he has over his life tremendously.

But the first hundred years will be the hardest, as he sees Helen and the
rest grow older, while he stays, apparantly, the same. And the lonliness may
well tempt him to linger in a world, sometimes.

>>I don't think HB really *needs* a sequel.<<

Think "short stories"...