Re Teaching Dark Lord

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Tue May 28 10:33:34 EDT 2002

On Tue, 21 May 2002, Ven wrote:
|This raises an interesting point -- that for
|shellfish to be banned they had to be available
|in the first place! I can only assume they must
|have been preserved in some way -- salted?
|pickled? in alcohol? -- and arrve in jars or
|barrels. Ob Dwj, the bargain barrel of oysters
|that Milda bought and which ended up crawling
|with ants.

Specifically, the Torah only requires that all kosher fish have
scales and fins.  Shellfish are prohibited by lack, not by
inclusion.

(I wasn't going to add an ObDwj to this message, until I was
correcting it -- my software heard me say "skills" not "scales",
and the correction pop-up offered me "Scales" as an option.  So
having just reread Dark Lord and Year of the Griffin, I can't
help thinking "specifically, Mr. Chesney only requires that all
kosher tours have Scales and Finn".)

-deborah
deborah at suberic.net
--
What does it matter whether we hang,
If we've learned a little wisdom?	-- _Jade_, Sally Watson