Question about _Tough Guide_

Tue May 28 00:33:09 EDT 2002

Thanks to Anita and Elizabeth, because I think this is probably where it
comes from:

On Tue, 28 May 2002 09:25:52 +1200, Elizabeth Evans wrote:

>At the risk of doing a 'Me too' - this is more or less what I think too. We
>get some travel guides in the library, and one of the most popular series is
>the 'Rough guide to ...' (Paris, London, Tuscany, etc.) which gives you the
>best places to stay and eat, art galleries and museums and significant sites
>etc. to visit. These sort of guides usually have a little box on just about
>every page with their 'Top pick,' ie. the very best of their selection.

My guess was that it was playing off some existing travel guide, but since I
don't know much about travel guides I didn't know which one it might be.
But "Rough guide to..." sounds like a close analogue, and "top pick" does as
well.  Not to mention the little symbols in the margins next to some of the
entries that seem to denote eating, lodging, etc.

Whew.  Now I feel better.  I was consulting the Tough Guide for a novel I'm
writing, both to draw on ideas for Quest Items and to avoid using some of
the cliches and OMTs, and the suspense suddenly became more than I could
handle.  :)  (Sort of like when I first heard about the Skiver's Guide,
because that was the first time I'd heard the word--only there it's fairly
easy to figure it out from context.)

Melissa Proffitt