Question about _Tough Guide_

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Mon May 27 06:57:11 EDT 2002

>> ----- Why is the body of _The Tough Guide to Fantasyland_ called
>> "Toughpick"?  I thought I could eventually figure it out, but I am at a
>> loss.
>
> Ditto, ditto.

Me too.  When it first came out, family discussion couldn't get any further than
a feeble pun on "toothpick".

No, we don't pronounce the vowels in "tough" and "tooth" the same.  They get
more and more similar as you go further north, and probably become the same in
Scotland.

Nor do we pronounce the consonants the same.  I think you have to go to London,
or at least the South East of England, for that.

But it was the best we could come up with.

Philip.

prohibited.

Registered addresses:

Powergen UK plc, City Point, 1 Ropemaker Street, London, EC2Y 9HT
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Powergen Retail Limited,  Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry CV4 8LG.
Registered in England and Wales No: 3407430

Telephone     +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax           +44 (0) 2476 42 5432