"Star Wars" despots vs. "Star Trek" populists

Chris R sfa_ok2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 26 17:20:06 EDT 2002

Jon Noble:
> True, an ancient Greek would not regard our form of
> government as deomcratic. The point of elections is
> that "the best person gets the job", to an ancient
> Athenian this is aristocracy not democracy. For a
> Greek style democracy parliaments would be chosen by
> lot, somewhat like juries are
And as a non-Athenian adult woman I don't regard the
Athenian system as particularly democratic...
Not to say I think parliamentary democracy is perfect.
Far from it.
Oh, but I /want/ the ostracism system - for
non-classics-nerds, this was a vote to kick the most
disliked public figure out of Athens for ten years -
but who would I choose? So many horrid politicians, so
little time...
Chris