_Homeward Bounders_ with maybe spoilers (was Re: Heroes)

Sat May 25 12:50:50 EDT 2002

On Sat, 25 May 2002 12:23:23 EDT, JOdel at aol.com wrote:

><< OBDWJ, I've never been able to figure out her politics. Does she have a
>consistent ideology? And an interesting twist of hers on the demi-god hero is
>the ordinary person who gets wacky friends, goes on a quest/does great deeds,
>*then* becomes a hero - and then has to sacrifice himself. I'm thinking
>Homeward Bounders here. >>
>
>Think Mitt Mittson too. He's a reissue to a considerable degree. Fortunately,
>in Mitt's case you get the impression that despite the sacrifice he has
>managed to have a few good times along the way. Which goves you a bit of hope
>for Jamie Hamilton as well.

On a minor tangent:  I've always claimed that I never want sequels to DWJ's
books.  I like the way they end and they all feel complete to me.  (With the
exception of _Fire and Hemlock_; on another tangent, I was testing the
"recommended threads" feature and read part of a response you (JOdel) had,
about how DWJ really *did* resolve the plot, but she stopped writing before
Tom and Polly reasoned their way to the end of that.  That's just how I felt
about it.  Subtangent ends.)

But as I think about it, the one book I would really like to see a sequel to
is _Homeward Bounders_.  I'm afraid to actually wish for one, because I
thought the ending was so heartbreakingly perfect, but I have increasingly
started wondering--what happens to Jamie now?  I mean, he's saved the world,
but is he going to be miserable for the rest of his life?  What kind of man
will he grow up to be, if he's allowed to grow up?  (One of my least
favorite themes is the Ancient Child, like Claudia from Anne Rice's vampire
books or the girl from Kristine Kathryn Rusch's story "Coolrunning."  The
idea of growing old in a permanently immature body makes me so sad.)  Is
there a chance that someone else will take his place, and would he be able
to stay human if that happened?

I don't think HB really *needs* a sequel.  But I think there is plenty of
material in that story that could still be explored.  It would be nicely
symmetrical if it tied in to current roleplaying games, too.

Melissa Proffitt