Randall Garrett (was Re: "Star Wars" despots vs. "Star Trek" populists)

Sat May 25 12:33:12 EDT 2002

On Sat, 25 May 2002 16:36:38 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:

>On Thu, 23 May 2002, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 May 2002 17:24:03 +0100, Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk wrote:
>
>> > I must also find some more Lord D'Arcy stories - I've
>> > only ever read one...
>>
>> This entire series of stories and novels is being reprinted in one
>> volume, titled (of course) _Lord Darcy_ (their spelling).
>
>When you say "their spelling" in that tone of voice, you make it sound
>like that wasn't the way Randall Garrett spelled it...

Sorry about that.  I just meant that the spelling cited in this thread is
different from the one in both the title of the book and the blurb from
Baen, and since I haven't read the stories at all, I didn't know which was
actually correct.  I have no idea how Randall Garrett spelled anything.  :)
(I'd like to assume that the publisher is correct, but that's not always the
case.)  I figured this was nicer than saying "well, ACTUALLY, there's no
apostrophe" like a Spelling Nazi.

In fact, I didn't know Garrett was such a big deal in the SF world until I
started trying to find _Too Many Magicians_.  The only thing I knew he'd
"written" was the Gandalara Cycle--and before you ask about the tone of
voice I was using there :) I mean that most of the actual writing was done
by Vicki Ann Heydron, his wife, after he became unable to write due to an
accident.  I couldn't believe how prolific he was!  He's one of those
Heinleinian multiple-pseudonym authors who wrote about a million short
stories in the fifties and sixties.  Am I glad I never publicly dismissed
him as an irrelevant hack!  I already make a fool of myself on a
semi-regular basis....

(People kept pushing the Gandalara books on me.  I didn't like them much.
Which is to say, I started the first one and it bored me.  So I didn't
finish it.  I hope the Lord Darcy stories are a better match.)

Melissa Proffitt