"Star Wars" despots vs. "Star Trek" populists

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu May 23 17:37:47 EDT 2002

--- Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk wrote:
.  I would
> recommend everyone interested
> in this debate to have a go at
>
> http://www.politicalcompass.org/
>
> which measures your political stance on two
> independent variables, and plots it
> in a plane.

Hmm, I did something very similar on a two axis plane
when still at school over 30 years ago. When I tried
today I was somewhat left and fairly libertairian, 30
years ago I was more "conservative" on both axes.

> Hmm.  Probably true.  But I have heard it pointed
> out (and think it worth
> repeating) that the modern form of democracy
> is not the same as the ancient Greek form, in which
> the people themselves
> actually ruled, with all citizens (in Athens, free
> adult males) having a seat on
> the assembly.

True, an ancient Greek would not regard our form of
government as deomcratic. The point of elections is
that "the best person gets the job", to an ancient
Athenian this is aristocracy not democracy. For a
Greek style democracy parliaments would be chosen by
lot, somewhat like juries are (at least in Australia -
my viewing of US court room dramas has left me very
bewildered as to how US juries come about. :-)

> More to the point, now that we do have the
> technology, why aren't we adopting a
> form of government more democratic than the elected
> assembly?

Another point would be, with "magic" as a technology
substitute why aren't more fantasy worlds more
democratic.

  I must also find some more
> Lord D'Arcy stories - I've
> only ever read one...

As well as Randy Garrett's books (one novel and two or
three collections of shorts - from memory) there are
also a couple of books of Lord D'Arcy stories written
by someone else - not sure if these were done when
Garrett was still alive. Michael Kurland perhaps - my
copies are not easily accessable, and as I have to go
to work soon I can't spend time checking on the
Interenet.

Jon Noble.
I don't have time to find a library quote so ;
"It's only the end of May and the boss has finally
given me a library budget for the year - and I it's so
good that I haven't even spent it all yet" - Me,
yesterday