"Star Wars" despots vs. "Star Trek" populists

Thu May 23 13:13:41 EDT 2002

On Thu, 23 May 2002 17:24:03 +0100, Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk wrote:

>> have  magic as a substitute for industrial technology.
>> This is something very few authors explore. Randall
>> Garrett's Lord D'Arcy stories are an example that
>> spring to mind. I once had fun incorporating this into
>
>Good point.  I like it!  I must also find some more Lord D'Arcy stories - I've
>only ever read one...

This entire series of stories and novels is being reprinted in one volume,
titled (of course) _Lord Darcy_ (their spelling).  It might even be out now,
but I doubt it...it's scheduled for July sometime.  I haven't read any of
them either, but Jacob has _Too Many Magicians_ on his list of books to buy
someday, so I figure I should probably see what they're like.  Baen is the
publisher; it is a trade PB format retailing for $18 US.  (Not that this is
useful to people outside the US, but it should eventually be available--more
so than the stories are now.)

Melissa Proffitt