"Star Wars" despots vs. "Star Trek" populists

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed May 22 22:37:43 EDT 2002

--- Jon Noble <jon_p_noble at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Chris R <sfa_ok2001 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >  --- Jon Noble <jon_p_noble at yahoo.com> wrote: > I
> > can't recall seeing much left
> > > wing fantasy - perhaps an interesting topic for
> > > discussion. > > Try Eric Flint for (funny)
left-wing fantasy -

I have just remembered one novel that is a wonderful
satire upon the fascist nature of much fantasy, and
other things beside, and a book the younger members of
this list would probably never have come across.
Norman Spinrad's "The Iron Dream" For those unaware of
the book this is a novel written in an alternate
universe in which after the communist takeover of
germany in 1930 a minor politician, Adolf Hitler, fled
to the USA, got involved with Hugo Gernsback and early
sf fandom and became a sf author. The novel is his
masterpiece "Lord of the swastika" which went on to
win the 1954 Hugo award, and the book also includes a
scholarly essay on  Hitler's novel. Wonderful fun.

Jon Noble
“You can’t think any of them did it, I mean, they’re
nearly all librarians.” Barry Bowes "Between the
Stacks"