"Star Wars" despots vs. "Star Trek" populists

Chris R sfa_ok2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 22 17:27:33 EDT 2002

 --- Jon Noble <jon_p_noble at yahoo.com> wrote: > I I
can't recall seeing much left
> wing fantasy - perhaps an interesting topic for a
> discussion. I've always regarded Lord of the Rings
> as
> one of the best arguments for fascism there is
> (right
> up there with Orff's Carmina Burana).
Carmina Burana? I read those in Latin last year and
can't remember any fascism - in fact, my only lasting
memory is lol at the roasted swan singing... Oh, and
having it pointed out to me that O Fortuna scans the
same as My Darling Clementine and having *that* stuck
in my head (aaagh! there it is again!) Would be
interested in your thoughts.
Try Eric Flint for (funny) left-wing fantasy - The
Philosophical Strangler and Forward the Mage. They
aren't his best stuff by a long way (for my vote
that's 1633 - leftish alternate history - or An
Oblique Approach - alternate history without any
discernible political content beyond Eugenic Fascism
Is Bad. But then you couldn't get democracy into 6th
century Byzantium without stretching credibility even
more than sentient crystals...) but worth reading.
Gah. Babbling. Will stop now.
OBDWJ, I've never been able to figure out her
politics. Does she have a consistent ideology? And an
interesting twist of hers on the demi-god hero is the
ordinary person who gets wacky friends, goes on a
quest/does great deeds, *then* becomes a hero - and
then has to sacrifice himself. I'm thinking Homeward
Bounders here.
Chris