Derk as Mad Scientist / Chrestomanci as Parasite(was: Buffy)

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Wed May 22 04:28:13 EDT 2002

Michelle and I are a lttle closer to settling our differences...

>>> Have you seen Gosford Park?  And the Edwardian Country House on Channel 4?
>>
>> No telly, I'm afraid.
>
> Gosford Park is on at the cinema still I think.  (Well worth watching, not
> for the mystery but for the witty script and fab acting.)

Cinema, eh?  That's somewhere I haven't been for a year or three...  Well, I'll
bear it in mind, but I doubt I'll find the opportunity.

>> BUT I think this is a reflection of working conditions in Edwardian times,
and
>> how they translated into domestic service, NOT something intrinsic to
domestic
>> service as a field of employment.  Domestic servants nowadays aren't treated
>> like that at all.
>
> A friend of mine who worked as a groom was treated more like an indentured
> labourer than as an employee.  Luckily he was able to give it up and go to
> university.

OK, point taken.  Shall we say that domestic service provides more opportunity
than other jobs for a bad employer to make your life a misery?  I could accept
that, readily.  (I'm told that the worst for that nowadays is the armed forces.
Probably because they haven't relaxed their terms of indenture - your friend
wouldn't have been (legally) able to escape...)

>> (I fear I may be ranting.  Perhaps I'd better stop...)
>
> Rant away!  A good part of my knowledge of conditions of service is based on
> reading Georgette Heyer.

:-)  Mine too!  But she was writing about a period twice as long ago (to us) as
the Edwardian, so the conditions she describes are even less likely to reflect
things today.

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970