Derk as Mad Scientist / Chrestomanci as Parasite(was: Buffy)

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue May 21 20:34:53 EDT 2002

On Tue, 21 May 2002, Michelle Thomas wrote:

> In The Magicians of Caprona, do they have servants? I can't
> remember clearly, but I think they use magic for most things -
> instead of employing a coachman and keeping real horses they use
> paper ones when necessary.

No, no servants - but see my other post about using magic instead of
doing the work; I think the family gets the work by all chipping in
and helping, or by leaving it to whichever great-aunt enjoys
cooking/sewing/whatever.

And, as I recall, the artificial coach and horses are a cost-saving
measure, not a "we can do without because we have magic" thing. The
Montanas are green with envy when they think that the Petrocchis'
coachman and horses are real.

(Guess which was the last DWJ book I read... :) )

> I do think that Charmed Life is more conservative than most of her
> books. There is a definite implication that the ill-educated
> hedge-witches are not capable of running their own affairs.
> Chrestomanci just takes away their witchcraft and says 'let them
> complain'.  He is supposedly controlling those with magic to
> protect ordinary people, but he can be pretty dictatorial and
> arbitrary.

I don't think it's that they're not capable of running their own
affairs, but that they can't be trusted to. People who would lend
themselves to the kind of thing Chrestomanci catches them up to just
before he takes away their witchcraft are the kind of people who would
be trying to run the world given half a chance, and that's precisely
the kind of thing Chrestomanci's tasked to prevent.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."