Buffy as Homeric ODWJM

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue May 21 20:24:41 EDT 2002

On Tue, 21 May 2002, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

> > So one of the things the books says is that you need to make the
> > best use of your talent - if you are an enchanter, it might be a
> > waste of your power to use it washing the dishes.
>
> I can't remember enough about how spells work in that world- would
> the enchanter have to think about each household task every time
> in order to get it done (which would take up the whole of her/his
> time and energy) or would they be able to set up permanent
> cleaning spells? (Would that still take up their energy to work?)
> Or put charms on objects not to get dirty?

I don't think magic works like that - there's a scene in MoC where the
Montana children try to magic the dishes clean so that they don't have
to do it, and the spell goes horribly wrong. It's explained that magic
like that only works "as well as", not "instead of" - you can use
magic to make the washing-up easier, but you still have to do the
washing-up.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."