Buffy as Homeric ODWJM

rohina at shaw.ca rohina at shaw.ca
Tue May 21 10:40:49 EDT 2002

> > And does anyone else have a problem with the social setup in the
> > Chrestomanci books?  If you are a powerful enchanter why do you need
> > servants...
>
> He can't handle silver.. and I sort of think he needs people
> around him to
> keep his humanity alive.

This is true, of course, but C. Chant inherits the whole Chrestomanci
setup from the previous holder of the title. A lot of the servants turn
out to have powers of their own. I always thought one of the best things
in the books was the bit about the bootboy using his little bits of
magic to make really nasty traps. So one of the things the books says is
that you need to make the best use of your talent - if you are an
enchanter, it might be a waste of your power to use it washing the dishes.

Robyn