Buffy as Homeric ODWJM

Michelle Thomas michellet at thecreativepartnership.co.uk
Tue May 21 09:13:12 EDT 2002

>> And does anyone else have a problem with the social setup in the
>> Chrestomanci books?  If you are a powerful enchanter why do you need
>> servants...
>
> He can't handle silver.. and I sort of think he needs people around him to
> keep his humanity alive.

Mmmm - not just Chrestomanci.  There's quite an interesting correlation
between being good and social class in the Chrestomanci books, especially
CL.  The bad witches and warlocks in Charmed Life are mostly lower or
working class, what my mum would call 'common', being cared for through a
system of enlightened despotism.  Chrestomanci might be a public servant,
but he is clearly not operating in a democracy.

Not that I don't like Charmed Life, I do!  But it's pretty conservative in
its politics.

Michelle