"Star Wars" despots vs. "Star Trek" populists

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Tue May 21 05:49:38 EDT 2002

I notice that the article was written as a response to
Phantom Menance. I wonder what Brinn thinks of Bring
on the Clones (no spoilers please - I have yet to see
it - not lack of inclination just lack of time -
probably until next week - my daughters went to the
midnight session when it opened). His comments on the
despotic nature of fantasy vs the populist nature of
sf are interesting generalisations. While there is
much right wing sf I can't recall seeing much left
wing fantasy - perhaps an interesting topic for a
discussion. I've always regarded Lord of the Rings as
one of the best arguments for fascism there is (right
up there with Orff's Carmina Burana). I've found Terry
Goodkind's last few books so disturbingly fascist that
I've stopped reading them (well I haven't read the
last one but probably will try if I ever see it
remained cheaply enough). Have to beg off on a Buffy
discussion, I've seen the movie a few times (twice in
last week as we have a copy floating around home at
the moment) but not the TV series.

Jon Noble
jon_p_noble at yahoo.com

"After worrying about it for two or three years, he
decided that this was one of the Funny Ideas which she
caught as a librarian and from which she would never
entirely recover."  Sinclair Lewis "Main Street"

--- Michelle Thomas