OT: Buffy as Homeric archetype (formerly "Star Wars" despots vs. "Star Trek" populists)

Michelle Thomas michellet at thecreativepartnership.co.uk
Tue May 21 05:48:08 EDT 2002

The UK is nearly at the end of Season 6 on cable. So no spoilers, I promise.

I was thinking of the Campbell description of the superhero, and how Joss
Whedon has subverted this and made it more interesting.  Buffy is a
superhero, has a wise mentor and a group of wacky friends, but in the real
world Buffy is nothing.  Her superpowers don't give her any other
advantages, she isn't made Mayor of Sunnydale or even paid a wage by the
Watcher's Council.  Since Buffy began, a large part of the show has been
about her struggle with authority, with her slayer duties, with her desire
to live a normal life...

All a bit random, but would be interested in other list member's thoughts.

Michelle