Teaching Dark Lord

Mon May 20 10:40:51 EDT 2002

On Mon, 20 May 2002 15:19:33 +0100, Michelle Thomas wrote:

> Have you
>read William Goldman's 'Which Lie Did I Tell?'  - fascinating insight into
>the industry.

Hee hee, two posts crossing in the ether.... :)  I read this one before I
read _Adventures in the Screen Trade_ and they're different enough from each
other that I didn't like _Adventures_.  But I was reading Amazon.com reviews
where it was clear people who liked _Adventures_ wanted more of *that* and
didn't like the sequel.  Go figure.  I liked that I had at least seen most
of the movies he dissects in the later book.  Anyway, I think both are
valuable for different reasons; _Adventures_ defines well the different jobs
associated with filmmaking, for instance.

Goldman's books convinced me that no, I do not want to be a screenwriter.
The amount of wrangling that goes on would be unbearable.  Bad enough to
have one's novel sent back with editorial scribbles; how much worse to have
it taken away entirely and revised by someone who doesn't like your vision?
<shudder>

Melissa Proffitt