Teaching Dark Lord

Michelle Thomas michellet at thecreativepartnership.co.uk
Mon May 20 09:39:03 EDT 2002

On 21/5/02 7:19 am, "Sally Odgers" <sodgers at tassie.net.au> wrote:

> It went through five or six different sets of writers to end up
>> with the screenplay that was filmed.
>
> With all the money they spend on films, wouldn't you think they'd hire a
> writer who would do a proper job? I really feel disappointed when I see a
> good idea dragged down by poor execution.
>
> Sallyo.
>
> --
As someone who works in the film industry, I couldn't agree more! I have
read an astonishing number of lame, poorly written, badly executed and
simply dreadful scripts.  But then, there are hundreds of terrible novels
out there too.  And loads of dire tv programmes.

Problem is that even when you have a good script, once its sold to a studio,
the writer rarely has control of the material.  Directors, producers,
marketing people and accountants all stick their oars in.

Michelle