Which is the best first DWJ book?

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Sun May 19 19:41:12 EDT 2002

On Sun, 19 May 2002, Caleb W wrote:
> My mum has asked me for recommended children's books, so DWJ obviously came
> to mind. This has probably come up before, but which is the best book to get
> her started on?
I believe that the one I always made people read first used to be "The
Ogre Downstairs." Now I tend to start people on "The Lives of Christopher
Chant" and "Charmed Life."

I do think it really depends on what sort of thing she likes, though. I
recently had an opportunity to get a present for a 14-year-old female
friend of mine; she'd read "Fire and Hemlock" but no other DWJ. So I got
her "The Magicians of Caprona," "A Tale of Time City," and "Witch
Week," figuring that she'd like the Romeo & Juliet-ness of the first, the
wacky history of the second, the school setting of the third, and the
girls in all of them. I didn't think she'd be an anti-boy-protagonist sort
of reader, but why take a chance? :^)