Teaching Dark Lord part 2

rohina at shaw.ca rohina at shaw.ca
Sat May 18 10:38:31 EDT 2002

> Thanks.  It's something I've been thinking about for a while with
> regards to YA literature expectations, which I started thinking
> about specifically because of DLoD.  I thought about writing a
> paper about it, but except for some more details about what
> exactly our expectations are for "normal" YA lit, I feel like
> I've said everything there is to say in the paragraph above.
> That is, *here* are our expectations for certain adult genres,
> *here* are our expectations for certain childhood and YA genres,
> and in the last five years DWJ has started blowing those
> expectations all to hell in a way nobody else does.  Okay, then
> what?  And who is the implied audience for such genre-benders?

Well, I would not ask the reception question, myself, because I don't
think it is inherently interesting. Can you actually articulate the
expectations that define YA literature? What examples come to mind as
exemplifying the genre? How do the various DWJ books challenge these?
What is the effect a) within the text and then b) on other texts (I
personally think DWJ is very intertextual). I think the statement you
made is plenty for the core of a paper, because once you start trying to
define the genre and giving the textual examples, you will discover that
you have an iceberg paper (much bigger than it looks on first glance).

Robyn