Re OT Nebula Awards

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Sat May 18 10:26:48 EDT 2002

Melissa wrote

><Tim Powers' _Declare_ is just fantastic....I
think _Last Call_ and
>_The Anubis Gates_ are better.  But the point
>really isn't to compare him to
>himself, right?>

and I said
>Those two are my favourites too, and judging by
>the TP list we are not alone.

Stuff like this makes me wonder why it is that
"favorites" tend to be so
universal...are people's tastes really very
uniform, or is there some basic
element to storytelling that appeals more broadly

than others, or what?
Then I also wonder if the reason I like those
particular books is the same
as everyone else's reason for liking the same
books.  Then I have to lie
down.

Yes. If it's any help at all every one of TP's
books was someone's favourite, with The Drawing
of the Dark and The Stress of Her Regard scoring
high.

I also wrote
>I also thought
>Declare was terrific but found it a little heavy
>going, it's not quite as much fun. (That made me
>laugh -- considering the amount of physical
>anguish the average Powers character goes
through
>I can still call his books fun.) I have a
feeling
>that Powers is moving into new territory now and
>I'm very much looking forward to what comes
next.>

>Incidentally Declare got disqualified from the
>Nebulas. It was first published in a limited
>edition in 2000 and so couldn't be considered
for
>2002. TP could have applied for an exemption on
>the grounds that the first mass market edition
>didn't appear until 2001 but didn't do the
>paperwork. Shame.

<Thanks for the explanation; I had seen it on the

ballots and wondered why it
was still on, because I know I read it two years
ago.  But I just assumed I
misremembered.  Oh well.  Do you know when it was

disqualified?  I'd hope
they would figure it out before the embarrassment

of counting the votes and
realizing "hey, this book shouldn't be on here!">

It was a couple of months ago, before the ballot.

=====
Ven