Teaching Dark Lord part 2

rohina at shaw.ca rohina at shaw.ca
Fri May 17 18:52:25 EDT 2002

> DLoD is a very strange book in that it has a fully realized
> adolescent hero who is written just as an adolescent hero should
> be  -- and yet it also has a fully realised adult hero.  I
> suspect that some of the students' discomfort with Derk's faults
> is that our preconceptions lead us to think that it is solely
> Blade's book.  So Derk should be acting in the ways we've come to
> expect of a father in an adolescent's novel, shouldn't he?
> But DWJ is'nt writing in a strictly defined genre anymore.  Thus
> Derk's failings as a man are unexpected in a genre in which we'd
> be more likely to expect his failings as a father.

I love this comment, Deborah, vey insightful. It is interesting how few
happy and connected families there are in YA Lit - so in a way, that's a
whole 'nother set of assumptions that DWJ is challenging. In most of the
books I can think of, it is okay to get along with your siblings OR your
parents, but not both.

Robyn