Teaching Dark Lord part 2

jackie e stallcup jstallcup at juno.com
Fri May 17 12:10:33 EDT 2002

Hmm, those are interesting questions.  I don't see the students in this
particular class as complacent or dense;  many of our previous
conversations have demonstrated a lot of analytical ability from most of
them.  The question of "why did I have them read this book" came up sort
of obliquely on the first day, but our conversation was careening around
and I didn't really answer it, if I remember correctly.  By the second
meeting, I think it was more clear to them why I had, without having to
address it specifically.

Thinking about this a bit further though... maybe I could say that there
is a sense of complacency in that some of them have fairly conventional
ideas about what constitutes good or bad literature (and adolescent
literature in conventional terms is usually immediately suspect).  But
we've worked through a lot of that; it's an attitude that I get them to
question within the first two weeks of class.  We also question a lot of
the assumptions that adults hold about children and teens.  If anyone is
interested in the theoretical reading that we do, I can send you some