Nebula Awards OT

Thu May 16 11:02:28 EDT 2002

On Wed, 15 May 2002 17:30:33 -0700 (PDT), Ven wrote:

>Melissa wrote
>
><Tim Powers' _Declare_ is just fantastic....I think _Last Call_ and
>_The Anubis Gates_ are better.  But the point
>really isn't to compare him to
>himself, right?>
>
>Those two are my favourites too, and judging by
>the TP list we are not alone.

Stuff like this makes me wonder why it is that "favorites" tend to be so
universal...are people's tastes really very uniform, or is there some basic
element to storytelling that appeals more broadly than others, or what?
Then I also wonder if the reason I like those particular books is the same
as everyone else's reason for liking the same books.  Then I have to lie
down.

>I also thought
>Declare was terrific but found it a little heavy
>going, it's not quite as much fun. (That made me
>laugh -- considering the amount of physical
>anguish the average Powers character goes through
>I can still call his books fun.) I have a feeling
>that Powers is moving into new territory now and
>I'm very much looking forward to what comes next.

_Declare_ took me a really long time to finish.  It was strange because I
found it easy to follow, but it was really hard going all the same.  I am so
looking forward to his next book.

>Incidentally Declare got disqualified from the
>Nebulas. It was first published in a limited
>edition in 2000 and so couldn't be considered for
>2002. TP could have applied for an exemption on
>the grounds that the first mass market edition
>didn't appear until 2001 but didn't do the
>paperwork. Shame.

Thanks for the explanation; I had seen it on the ballots and wondered why it
was still on, because I know I read it two years ago.  But I just assumed I
misremembered.  Oh well.  Do you know when it was disqualified?  I'd hope
they would figure it out before the embarrassment of counting the votes and
realizing "hey, this book shouldn't be on here!"

Melissa Proffitt