Teaching Dark Lord

Michelle Thomas michellet at thecreativepartnership.co.uk
Thu May 16 05:04:57 EDT 2002

On 16/5/02 5:07 am, "rohina at shaw.ca" <rohina at shaw.ca> wrote:

>> 2.  Yes, but _why_ are snakes associated with evil in these
>> contexts?  What is
>> it about snakes that thay have wriggled their way into the evil
>> imagery of so
>> many traditions?  (This is a serious question that I couldn't
>> begin to answer!)
>
> There is a simplistic start of an answer in the idea that a lot of
> ancient native and pagan religions revered snakes and/or snake
> god/esses. Subsequent religions then turned that worship of old gods
> into something evil. Eg St Patrick getting rid of the snakes out of
> Ireland = druids.
>
> But I also think that in that tradition that revered snakes, there was
> a healthy dose of fear. Some Australian Koorie traditions have a snake
> deity (Rainbow Serpent, I think? I have a friend who knows a lot about
> this tradition and she has a spiritual affinity with snakes), and
> Australia has a lot of pretty dangerous snakes - it makes sense to fear
> them.

Judeo-Christian traditions, the good people of the Old Testament were desert
dwelling pastoral nomads who not unnaturally saw snakes as a threat and a
danger to themselves and their animals. But they were also wary of
shellfish... Apologies to any Jewish people on the list!

But loads of people don't like snakes, I think they think they will be slimy
and are surprised to find that they're not.

Michelle