Year of the Griffin

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu May 16 03:53:24 EDT 2002

It's probably too late to help, but Caleb wrote:

> My latest DWJ acquisition is YotG, which I hope to begin reading soon. (I
> seem to be reading quite a few humourous or spoof fantasy books at the
> moment - in the last few days I've bought or borrowed: "Flying Dutch" by Tom
> Holt, "A Midsummer's Nightmare" by Gary Kilworth, "The Light Fantastic" by
> Terry Pratchett and now YotG.) I managed to get my grubby mitts on some
> bargain books at Bala fair this morning, this being one of them. Not having
> read DLoD, is there anything much I need to know? I hope to start on the
> book soon, although it will have to join the queue :-)

The book is set some years after DLoD, and contains minor spoilers.  And, I
think, one significant one (which I won't identify in the hope that you won't
notice it).  You don't need to have read Dark Lord in order to appreciate YotG.
Indeed you probably got a much bigger surprise than the rest of us when you
discovered, with Corkoran, which of his tutor group was Derk's daughter...

I don't think of it as spoof.  Certainly it isn't spoof in the way that DL is.
OTOH I do think it is one of the, or possibly _the_ funniest book she's written.

Interesting your list of spoof fantasy.  I must try "A Midsummer's Nightmare".
In return, how about "A Midsummer Tempest" by Poul Anderson.  I also recently
read "The Dragon and the George" by Gordon R Dickson.  Quite Dark-Lord-ish,
although the spoof element is more like Chalker's "Dancing Gods" series.  Not as
polished as DWJ, but an enjoyable read.

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970