Teaching Dark Lord

rohina at shaw.ca rohina at shaw.ca
Thu May 16 00:07:20 EDT 2002

> from students in
> class doesn't give them the idea that they are right.  With luck
> it will teach
> them to accept differing ideas from their own students...  Yes,
> you should
> challenge them a bit, but I think it's better to challenge with
> "But what
> about..." than "That's wrong!"

I wouldn't generally say "That's wrong" to a student's opinion of a
book (unless they made an error in translation or interpretation which
was creating some strange reading - I teach a lot of Chaucer); my
comment was addressing Jackie's original statement that she didn't show
her disappointment. See, to me, "I disagree with you, but I respect
your opinion" is a more powerful teaching tool than simply
saying "Okay". Especially when students make negative comments about a
work, I would always give them a counter opinion. Even at the most
simplistic level, I think, I want them to understand why I valued a
text enough to put it on the syllabus.

Although I think I am maybe a more challenging teacher than most North
Americans would be used to. I had a student say to me that she really
hated and liked the way I responded to her statements by saying things
like "That's interesting, have you thought about x?"

> 1.  No, I wasn't asking, I was suggesting it could be discussed in
> class!
> 2.  Yes, but _why_ are snakes associated with evil in these
> contexts?  What is
> it about snakes that thay have wriggled their way into the evil
> imagery of so
> many traditions?  (This is a serious question that I couldn't
> begin to answer!)

There is a simplistic start of an answer in the idea that a lot of
ancient native and pagan religions revered snakes and/or snake
god/esses. Subsequent religions then turned that worship of old gods
into something evil. Eg St Patrick getting rid of the snakes out of
Ireland = druids.

But I also think that in that tradition that revered snakes, there was
a healthy dose of fear. Some Australian Koorie traditions have a snake
deity (Rainbow Serpent, I think? I have a friend who knows a lot about
this tradition and she has a spiritual affinity with snakes), and
Australia has a lot of pretty dangerous snakes - it makes sense to fear
them.

Robyn