Nebula Awards OT

Wed May 15 07:42:52 EDT 2002

On Wed, 15 May 2002 10:57:33 +0100, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

>From Melissa's very useful summary of the Nebula nominees, there is only one
>thing I want to reply to:
>>  (_Diplomatic Immunity_ is very good, by the way.)
>
>I gnash my teeth and pull horrible faces at the monitor in envy. We won't
>get it in hardback till next year, and even if I could afford hardbacks, I
>certainly can't afford to import it. TWO YEARS to wait to buy a book. A
>year, probably, until I can get the library to get a copy. Oooh. I almost
>wish I wasn't a fan, just someone who read sf; then I could be pleasantly
>surprised by wandering into a shop in 2004 and finding a new Bujold in
>paperback.

I am so sad for you.  :(  The international market sure has made some things
harder, hasn't it?  Plus, being a fan is a pain anyway; no matter when you
get the latest book, as soon as you finish you want More, and you have to
wait again.

>(Oh well. I was whining about not getting Bujold for ages to an American
>from a Pratchett fan group and she pointed out that his always used to take
>a long time to get to America [the last couple have come out at the same
>time]. I suppose it's swings and roundabouts.)

Well...I placed my pre-order for Pratchett's next book already.  From
England.  I am a pitiful, obsessed wretch of a person.  (I actually don't
buy as many books as I used to; can't afford it any more.  It works out to
about two or three hardcover books a year, and occasional purchases of cheap
paperbacks or good library remainder books.)

I also just learned, from Steven Brust's weblog
(http://www.dreamcafe.com/weblog.cgi and scroll down a bit),
that _Viscount of Adrilankha_ is done!  Wonder how long it's going to take
to get THAT one on the shelves?

Sigh.  Yes, it would be nice just to be an SF reader and less obsessed....

Melissa Proffitt