Teaching Dark Lord

rohina at shaw.ca rohina at shaw.ca
Tue May 14 17:39:48 EDT 2002

> There are 14 people in the class; most of them had finished the
> book, but
> some hadn't.  Some did like it, but they were not very vocal
> yesterday,and I hope to encourage them to speak up tomorrow.

I'm glad you noticed this, I was going to say, I have had this kind of
reaction in classes before, if one or two opinionated students say
something really strong about a book, then others may agree or stay
silent rather than start and argument, particularly if it isn't an
argumentative class. I once had this reaction to Bradley's Mists of
Avalon - a couple of louder students hated it (mainly because of the
length, which is a pissweak reason, given the books' many faults). But
then quite a few wrote good essays on the book in the end.

> Also, I did not show them that I was disappointed, nor say anything
> negative about their reactions.

Really? Maybe you should challenge them a bit more. After all, they are
going to be teachers. Do you want them to go away with the impression
that their personal reactions to books are necessarily "right"?

> read in the past, etc.  I'm really careful not to be judgemental,
> particularly about their personal reactions to books.

I guess you are trying to teach by example in this, but I worry that you
might need to point it out for students to get it.

> And one last answer:  snakes are often associated with evil, deceit,
> temptation and so on.  You know, the snake tempting Eve and so on.
> So I
> think that dwj kind of keeps us off balance there; we aren't sure
> what to
> think of Querida... come to think of it, she is deceitful!  HMM
> more to
> think about...

Well, there is another tradition that says the serpent is a wise woman...

Robyn