Teaching Dark Lord

Ian W. Riddell iwr77 at hotmail.com
Tue May 14 15:56:21 EDT 2002

>From: jstallcup at juno.com
>
>Almost all of the students really liked--even loved--Mr. Was, which
>really is an extraordinary book.  Hautman also plays with generic
>conventions and form, but in some ways, perhaps, the main character is
>more accessible than the characters in DL (partly because Mr. Was is more
>focused), and overall, it is probably less complicated than Dark Lord.
>You have to have read Mr. Was to understand how odd the next statement
>is, but ... my disdainful student thought Mr. Was was (let's see if I can
>remember her exact words): trite and commonplace, I believe.
>
>Really, go read Mr Was, and I honestly think you'll get a big laugh out
>of that.

I just wonder why someone like this is taking this class.

Mr. Was was such a tight, elegant book. I love long rambling books because I
can let them envelop me, but I love short, elegant books even more. And Mr.
Was is such a good book on so many levels.

I pity the people who have that student as a teacher.

blessings

widdy