Teaching Dark Lord

jstallcup at juno.com jstallcup at juno.com
Tue May 14 15:33:36 EDT 2002

Ok, Philip had a whole list of questions that really helped me think
about how I'm going to approach the class tomorrow.  Let me try to answer
them altogether here, rather than spaced out below:

There are 14 people in the class; most of them had finished the book, but
some hadn't.  Some did like it, but they were not very vocal yesterday,
and I hope to encourage them to speak up tomorrow.  After I taught and
posted to the list, I started reading their papers, and one student wrote
on Dark Lord and offered some very useful analyses of it--so that was
more encouraging.

Also, I did not show them that I was disappointed, nor say anything
negative about their reactions.  I reassured them that the book could be
hard going and they might like it better on a second read, and I also
emphasized that not everyone likes fantasy and that's perfectly ok.   My
teaching technique is usually to take what the students have to say and
run with it, adding information, poking them to take their ideas further,
getting them to play off of each other, reminding them of what we have
read in the past, etc.  I'm really careful not to be judgemental,
particularly about their personal reactions to books.  So what I said to
everyone here on the list is not what I said to them--I was venting a bit
because I couldn't vent at them.  Sorry not to be clear about that!

I think I'll start by working the "not liking Derk" angle tomorrow in
class, because I had the same reaction Philip and Sally seem to have had:
 Derk's a realistic round, adult character who makes mistakes and
experiences marital problems that are very true to life.  This is a
pretty unusual thing in a novel for adolescents (even if there are round
adolescent characters, it is much more difficult to find round adult
characters).  So, this is one way, again, that dwj is playing with our
expectations.  Relatedly, one student also found it very problematic that
both he and Mara put the children into such danger; again, we'll be
discussing the issue of realism (mixed in with the fantasy).  This should
allow us to take off on a discussion of what she is doing in terms of
generic conventions in general, which I think will be the best way to
make them understand what is going on, even if they still don't like it!

Almost all of the students really liked--even loved--Mr. Was, which
really is an extraordinary book.  Hautman also plays with generic
conventions and form, but in some ways, perhaps, the main character is
more accessible than the characters in DL (partly because Mr. Was is more
focused), and overall, it is probably less complicated than Dark Lord.
You have to have read Mr. Was to understand how odd the next statement
is, but ... my disdainful student thought Mr. Was was (let's see if I can
remember her exact words): trite and commonplace, I believe.

Really, go read Mr Was, and I honestly think you'll get a big laugh out
of that.

And one last answer:  snakes are often associated with evil, deceit,
temptation and so on.  You know, the snake tempting Eve and so on.  So I
think that dwj kind of keeps us off balance there; we aren't sure what to
think of Querida... come to think of it, she is deceitful!  HMM  more to
think about...

Thank you all for your comments so far!   They will be helpful when I
tackle the class again tomorrow.

Jackie