Sobbing and Throbbing voices

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Sun May 5 22:20:34 EDT 2002

The poster formerly known as Venkarel wrote:
(sorry Kale couldn't resist doing that)

<This has been bothering me since I read the
descriptions.  In _Howl's Moving Castle_, Miss
Angorian is described as having a throb in her
voice
that Sophie describes as beastly, IIRC.  And in
_Deep
Secret_, Rupert is very annoyed by the sob in
Mari's
voice.  I'm trying to imagine what this sounds
like
and can't.>

The throbbing voice gives me less trouble, I sort
of think Zsa Zsa Gabor and actresses of that ilk
(are there any modern examples?). I can't really
get Marie's voice though. Another one that gives
me trouble is Elda's, irrc she speaks in a small
scream. I often find myself trying to imitate
expressions or voices from my reading and I can't
seem to get close to what Dwj meant with these
voices. Is this another "fault of Djw" or are
there lots of good examples of voice
descriptions? All I can think of is Fenella's
booming voice, which I imagine as being like a
particularly loud voiced girl from school (you
knew if she was on the bus before you got on).

=====
Ven