Re Spellcoats

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 27 14:19:46 EST 2002

Robyn wrote

Just had a reread of Spellcoats, and am struck
again by the utter
brilliance of the story. I especially love the
little comments in the book
by Tanaqui and the epilogue about how the story
doesn't tell everything,
and it may be inaccurately translated anyway. Her

comment about having
unpicked a section is also intriguing. I was
thinking about it in light of
our discussion about the unreliable narrator.
There are lots of things in
the book that make Tanaqui unreliable, but is she

deceptive like the Thief?

I think not, I think she is telling the story as
truthfully as she can because the coats wouldn't
do their job otherwise. She admits to feeling
silly and spiteful and, when she can't explain
things, sets down what she experienced very
carefully.

<I think it is time for all of you who don't like

it to have a reread so we
can debate this one a bit. Since the Hexwood
discussion seems to be over
for the time being.>

Not a bad idea -- I'd like to be on the defense
team from the start this time.

=====
Ven

=====