online writing workshop

Gross Family argross at bigpond.net.au
Tue Mar 26 01:23:14 EST 2002

> Robyn said...
> >
> > The other day I stumbled upon the DelRey writing workshop, and I
> wondered
> > if any of you who are writing stories have found and used it? I
> thought it
> > was an excellent site, and have been thoroughly enjoying myself
> writing
> > reviews. The idea of the site is that people can post drafts of
> their SF
> > and Fantasy stories and chapters and other members of the site will
> write
> > reviews for them. There are lots of rules, and the stuff is
> moderated so it
> > is all quite civilised.

Dorian replied:

> At least two of us - myself and Ros Gross - are already members.
>
> It is, indeed, extremely civilised, but the workshop owners not having
> been able to get further sponsorship out of Del Rey, it'll be going
> over to fee-paying in a month or so.  Personally, I'll be happily
> paying my $40.

As Dorian said, it's pretty good, though there seem to be quite a lot of
insubstantial reviews. I'm not sure if I'll shell out the money--it's $80 in
Aussie money. I probably will, in the end.

Another good group is Critters, if you haven't already checked it out. I
seem to get a lot more reviews, and more *substantial* reviews (and lots of
divergent advice) than at Del Rey. There is some harsh reviewing, but you
can always complain to the moderator. It's free, too.

Ros