Pullman

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Mon Mar 25 17:09:43 EST 2002

In a message dated 3/25/2002 10:00:33 AM Pacific Standard Time, deborah
<deborah at suberic.net>

>  In my oh so humble opinion, Pullman was heavily influenced by
>  Lewis and is extremely annoyed about it, and HDM is his attempt
>  to deal with that.
>
>  ObDWJ:  No, I'm too tired to try.

Isn't this a very DWJ-ian situation for him to be in, though? Being
influenced by somebody you don't understand and you're subconsciously
fighting with? If she'd called such a character Mr. Pullman, we'd all think
it was a frightful groaner of a pun ...

I think Lewis would have liked him a lot, though. I know he praised some
other books with very un-Christian (but not evil) worldviews, such as
_Childhood's End_ by Arthur C. Clarke.

Helen Schinske