OT: Re: Jumper

Venkarel venkarel.geo at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 20 23:52:22 EST 2002

--- JOdel at aol.com wrote:

*snip*

> Pinafores, over here, are open in the back. As are
> aprons. No, in American
> usage a "jumper" is a garment fairly close to having
> no alternate name.

This lexicon goes both ways between American and
English.  And I note the same thing about "jumper"
being a sweater in English and a pinafore in American.

http://www.pericles.demon.co.uk/amer-eng/

obDWJ: So what was the jumper-wearing person wearing
in Deep Secret?

> Calling a sweater a "jersy" preserves something of
> the English flavor without
> undue confusion on our end, but would probably add
> some back at its point of
> origin.

Actually, I associate jerseys with sports
uniforms--specifically American football jerseys.

Venkarel