Pullman

Ania theania at freeuk.com
Wed Mar 20 18:11:48 EST 2002

I wrote:
> > Anyway, the whole thing makes more sense to my sceptical, godless self
if
> > the traditional view were reversed. (here comes my own take on
> > this) God did not make us; we, or our distant ancestors, made god/s. God
> is an entity
> > which arose out of the collective imagination/ despair/ power of belief/
> > whatever. It - the entity - became flesh, or more accurately,
> > spirit. It can be as evil and twisted as its creators (that's us,
folks!),
> or as
> > compassionate. It can be blamed for the evil it wrought, or that
> > was wrought in its name. It could cease to exist if no-one believed in
it
> any more (I
> > owe Gaiman for that last insight).
Elizabeth commented:
> I started out to think: huh? how can you blame something if you don't
> believe it exists? But then I understood you to say that God does exist,
> except that he's a man-made creation. So in effect we can blame God, but
the
> real blame must surely rest with his creators, ie. people. If I'm wrong,
> here, please correct me.

Yes, that's more or less it. But I must reiterate that I don't actually
believe in god at all, and the above is for the sake of argument only. I
looked into the whole question, which is important if you are brought up a
Catholic but end up realizing that you have a great difficulty  believing in
God, and juggled various possibilities in my mind, and the 'we made god'
idea was far more appealing and believable. It still wasn't enough to make
me believe in god as an independent entity. But if i suspend disbelief then
god could be seen as an entity which had separated from its creators (so we
don't necessarily have to blame ourselves here and now, any more than it's
necessarily the parents' fault directly if their child ends up doing
something evil). Also, I can see that if one really believes in something,
then it does in effect exist for that person. And derives its power from the
faith.So, if we want it to be all powerful, it is.
Then there is the question of evil done in the name of religion. I think it
somehow taints the religion for ever and cannot be washed away.
But paradoxically, if I suddenly felt the need for religious expression, I'd
probably return to Catholicism, simply because it's familiar and culturally
appropriate for me.
Ania